Senior Tech Service Engineer
The Senior Tech Service Engineer will provide engineering and technical support to the Benefuel plant start-ups. Gathering and maintaining a strong plant data base is an important part of the Senior Tech Service Engineer’s job. Specific duties include: plant pre-startup activities, leading and supporting startup and performance test activities as well as providing ongoing post-startup support at facility locations. Developing monitoring programs to ensure that all of Benefuel’s facilities needs are addressed promptly and proactively is a crucial part of the Senior Tech Service Engineer’s job.
Reports to: Manager of Tech Service
Supervises: Tech Service Engineers
- Provide technical support through personal involvement to the operating plants.
- Assist in the preparation of Operations manuals including process system descriptions, review of operational & control descriptions.
- Continuously maintain the quality and consistency of execution of the company's proprietary technologies and related technical work.
- Establish project technical requirements, including preparing and maintaining design basis documents, document list, project distribution, technical evaluation protocol and formats, and project procedures.
- Develop programs to gather and maintain plant operations information in order to establish a corporate data base that will be used to provide troubleshooting information, and continually improve Benefuel’s technology.
- The STSE will participate in trials at customer locations as well as start-up support for specific projects.
- Preparation of necessary technical and cost evaluations for project alternatives, including specific recommendations for approaches.
- Provide support of the marketing and project development functions (assistance with project conceptualization, preliminary engineering and design data, technical interface with outside parties, presentations, review of internal work performed in other functional areas such as technical assumptions used in financial analyses) or other internal needs as required.
- Prepare and present training material.
- Participate in equipment and system start-up and commissioning.
- Provide technical support to operations both in the US and abroad. Troubleshoot operational problems.
- 30-40% travel..
- Perform other duties as needed or directed by supervisor.
- A B.S. degree in chemical engineering, or related science degree from an accredited 4 year college. A Master’s or PHD is helpful but not required.
- 5 to 10 years experience in process engineering or Tech Service Engineering with commercial or pilot plant operations, preferably in fats and oils, biofuels. A strong background in thermodynamics, biomass processing and extraction, and one or more chemical separation technologies (distillation, evaporation, adsorption, etc) would be helpful. Engineering skills must be sharp and up to date for both review and some individual work.
- Familiar with process simulation tools like ASPEN Plus, PRO II, and HYSYS
- Experience interfacing with senior management
- U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status required
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with excellent business and technical writing.
- The Tech Service Department is constantly pulled in several different directions at once while being asked to meet challenging cost goals and schedule deadlines. This person must continuously uphold and ensure the integrity of all the company’s work, while effectively supporting the myriad of day-to-day, scheduled and unscheduled, demands thrust upon the department.
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- A strong teamwork attitude is needed to effectively interface with the other functional areas of the company on a matrix basis.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and Microsoft Project.
- The ability to work 40 or more hours per week
- The ability to operate a:
- fax machine / copier
- The ability to:
- Walk a construction and plant site including stairs and ladders.
- Sit for extended periods of time (2 hours at a time, 8 hours per day).
- Occasionally (0-33%) lift or carry up to 10 lbs.
- Frequently (34%-66%) perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- See, hear, and speak.
- The ability to travel:
- Travel to remote sites.
- International Travel Required
Benefuel is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.