Senior Process Engineer
The Senior Process Engineer will develop and support various functional activities, including process development, process optimization, variation reduction, and cost reduction, while ensuring that the highest safety and environmental standards are maintained. Specific duties include: process analysis, development of Heat and Material Balances, Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) and Piping & Instrumentation Drawings (P&IDs), systematic problem-solving, customer and supplier communications, operations support, transferring key learnings to local staff and to other facilities, new product introductions, asset utilization analysis, and development and rationalization of engineering standards and practices.
Reports to: Manager of Engineering
Supervises: Process Engineers
- Provide classical process engineering support for process development & design, process optimization (quality improvements and variation reduction, equipment specification and design, improvement project scope development, and to develop/maintain process models).
- Prepare Heat and Material Balances for existing and new processes.
- Utilize ACAD to produce PFDs and P&IDs.
- Monitor, collect and communicate key data to customers and to suppliers, working jointly to solve problems and develop effective partnerships.
- Lead and or support capital projects (equipment design, cost estimating, justification analysis, installation supervision, process documentation, start-up and process qualification).
- Responsible for the development and training of associate level engineers and Operations staff personnel.
- Support operations as required, to ensure safe and efficient manufacturing processes are maintained (DCS support, other process control and monitoring systems, yield and energy improvement activities, continuous quality improvement activities).
- Improve asset utilization (cycle time improvements, reduce working capital)
- Understand, deploy and improve engineering standards consistent with Benefuel’s policies and programs.
- Support deployment and integration of new product processes and technologies.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed by supervisor.
- A B.S. degree in chemical engineering, or related science degree from an accredited 4 year college. A Master’s or PHD is helpful but not required.
- Minimum 5 to 10 years of process engineering experience with commercial or pilot plant operations, preferably in fats and oils, biofuels. A strong background in thermodynamics, biomass processing and extraction, and one or more chemical separation technologies (distillation, evaporation, adsorption, etc) would be helpful. Engineering skills must be sharp and up to date for both review and some individual work.
- Experience in advanced biodiesel industry/analytical techniques helpful but not required;
- Pilot plant operating experience; analytic testing experience
- Ability to use process simulation tools like ASPEN Plus, PRO II, and HYSYS;
- Experience interfacing with senior management
- U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status required
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with excellent business and technical writing.
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Independently develop Process Flow Diagrams;
- Prepare H&MB simulations for biodiesel processes;
- Develop Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams;
- Biodiesel and-or Oil & fats experience;
- Equipment design experience;
- Ability to work within teams.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and Microsoft Project.
- The ability to work 40 or more hours per week
- The ability to operate a:
- fax machine / copier
- The ability to:
- Walk a construction and plant site including stairs and ladders.
- Sit for extended periods of time (2 hours at a time, 8 hours per day).
- Occasionally (0-33%) lift or carry up to 10 lbs.
- Frequently (34%-66%) perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- See, hear, and speak.
- The ability to travel:
- Travel to remote sites.
- International Travel Required
Benefuel is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.