Manager of Technical Services
The Manager of Technical Services will manage the technical services group so that the quality and integrity of the company’s technical products and services are maintained. The position will manage the technical resource requirements for the company’s and our client’s facilities. This includes project, process, and product support. Developing monitoring programs to ensure that all of Benefuel’s customer needs are addressed promptly and proactively is a crucial part of the Manager of Technical Services job.
Reports to: Vice President of Engineering
Supervises: Technical Service and Project Engineers
- Organizing, develop and integrate the tech service efforts, including establishment, execution and reporting of formal departmental systems, goals, schedules and budgets.
- Provide technical support through personal involvement and technology staff personnel.
- Manage tests to showcase Benefuel technology at customer locations.
- Assist in the preparation of Operations manuals including process system descriptions, review of operational & control descriptions.
- Continuously maintain the quality and consistency of execution of the company's proprietary technologies and related technical work.
- Drive the continuous improvement of the company’s existing technologies while also driving the process for new technological and/or product innovations.
- Develop programs to gather and maintain plant operations information in order to establish a corporate data base that will be used to provide troubleshooting information, and continually improve Benefuel’s customer care.
- Participate and manage trials at customer locations as well as start-up support for specific projects.
- When required, manage all project functions related to project management, site management, project control, engineering management, procurement and construction management to meet project goals.
- Manage project budget, resource allocation and project schedule.
- Establish and manage quality assurance program.
- Monitor and report on progress of the project to all stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed by supervisor.
- A B.S. degree in chemical engineering, or related science degree from an accredited 4 year college. A Master’s or PHD is helpful but not required.
- 5 to 10 years experience in a process engineering management role, or similar functional management experience with proven record in cost and schedule performance.
- Commercial or pilot plant operations, preferably in fats and oils, biofuels, wet milling, or related field. Engineering skills must be sharp and up to date for both review and some individual work.
- Familiar with process simulation tools like ASPEN Plus, PRO II, and HYSYS
- Experience interfacing with senior management
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with excellent business and technical writing.
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Personal skills and the confidence to lead, and motivate the technical staff as a strong functional leader, while also exhibiting the steady reliability and teamwork attitude needed to effectively interface with the other functional areas of the company on a matrix basis.
- The Tech Service Department is constantly pulled in several different directions at once while being asked to meet challenging cost goals and schedule deadlines. This person must continuously uphold and ensure the integrity of all the company’s work, while effectively supporting the myriad of day-to-day, scheduled and unscheduled, demands thrust upon the department.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Capable of reading engineering drawings and schematics.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and Microsoft Project.
- The ability to work 40 or more hours per week
- The ability to operate a:
- fax machine / copier
- The ability to:
- Walk a construction and plant site including stairs and ladders.
- Sit for extended periods of time (2 hours at a time, 8 hours per day).
- Occasionally (0-33%) lift or carry up to 10 lbs.
- Frequently (34%-66%) perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- See, hear, and speak.
- The ability to travel:
- Travel to remote sites.
- International Travel Required
Benefuel is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.