Manager of Engineering
The Manager of Engineering will be responsible for managing various functional activities necessary to achieve Business Objectives. This will include process design and optimization, supporting, detail design, procurement, construction and startup of processes used in the manufacture of renewable chemicals and fuels, while ensuring that the highest safety and environmental standards are maintained. Specific duties include: process staff development, process analysis, supply chain analysis, systematic problem-solving, customer and supplier communications, capital project management, operations support, transferring key learning’s to local staff and to other facilities, new product introductions, asset utilization analysis, and development and rationalization of engineering standards and practices.
Reports to: Vice President of Engineering
Supervises: Process Engineers
- Work with R&D and Process Engineers, consultants and outside vendors to develop process design packages and accomplish company goals.
- Manage the workload and deploy the necessary resources to accomplish the Company’s goals in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Manage and develop engineering staff.
- Lead the development of Heat and Material Balances, Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) and Piping & Instrumentation Drawings (P&IDs).
- Lead the process of sizing process equipment, developing equipment specifications, selecting equipment vendors, evaluating equipment bids and issuing purchase requisitions.
- Assist in the set up and operation of process simulator software programs.
- Analyze and provide design solutions to solve problems within the existing plant process systems.
- Develop conceptual design and cost estimates for Benefuel’s processing systems.
- Manage the design and installation of small process related projects.
- Manage, deploy and improve engineering standards consistent with Benefuel’s policies and programs.
- Support deployment and integration of new product processes and technologies.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed by supervisor.
- A B.S. degree in chemical engineering, or related science degree from an accredited 4 year college. A Master’s or PHD is helpful but not required;
- Minimum 8 to 10 years of engineering experience with 2-4 years of management experience;
- Experience in advanced biodiesel industry/analytical techniques helpful but not required;
- Professional Engineer Registration desired;
- Familiar with process simulation tools like ASPEN Plus, PRO II, and HYSYS;
- Experience interfacing with senior management
- U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status required
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with excellent business and technical writing.
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Personal skills and the confidence to lead, and motivate the technical staff as a strong functional leader, while also exhibiting the steady reliability and teamwork attitude needed to effectively interface with the other functional areas of the company on a matrix basis.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and Microsoft Project.
- The ability to work 40 or more hours per week
- The ability to operate a:
- fax machine / copier
- The ability to:
- Walk a construction and plant site including stairs and ladders.
- Sit for extended periods of time (2 hours at a time, 8 hours per day).
- Occasionally (0-33%) lift or carry up to 10 lbs.
- Frequently (34%-66%) perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- See, hear, and speak.
- The ability to travel:
- Travel to remote sites.
- International Travel Required
Benefuel is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.